In order to complete the manual Joomla versions above 1.6 installation, follow the steps listed below:
First of the first, make sure your server meets the requirements below for Joomla 2.5.
The minimal Joomla 2.5 server requirements are as follows:
PHP 5.2.4 or above;
MySQL 5.0.4 or above;
Apache 1.3.42 or 2.x or above;
The following additional server-side configuration is recommended:
PHP in suEXEC mod running as a CGI wrapper, especially suitable on shared hosting;
register_globals turned off in PHP;
Linux OS platform.
If your server has any terms that can not meet this list, please contact your host provider to more information.
1. Create a MySQL database from cPanel->MySQL Databases and add a user to it. If you are not using cPanel, you can check the MySQL manual for more details on the database and user setup.
2. Download the archive file with Joomla from the Joomla official web site. Store it in a folder on your local computer and extract the archive.
3. Upload all the content from this local folder to the directory on the server where Joomla will be stored. The easiest way to upload the files and the folders is through an FTP client (Such as FileZilla, CuteFTP and Transmit). Normally all of the files should be just under the web root folder (such as www., httpdoc, htdocs and so on).
4. Open the URL of the newly-uploaded Joomla script. If the content is uploaded in the main web directory, use http://yourdomainname.com. In case you have uploaded it in a subdirectory, open http://yourdomainname.com/example. Replace the domain and the directory names with the corresponding ones for your web site.
5. Then you will see the Joomla installation page. Here you can select the language for the installation. It will be valid only during the installation. Once completed Joomla will be switched back to English as default language.
6. On the next page Joomla will check if the system requirements are met on your server. If one or more are not met, a corresponding message will be shown.
7. After Joomla confirms all system requirements are met, proceed by clicking on the Next button from the top right menu. On the next page you should read and accept Joomla's license. Then just click on next. Then you go to a page that will require you to fill in database details.
8. Now you have to enter the MySQL details for the new Joomla 2.5 installation. Use the ones set in Step 1.
9. Then you can set your File Transfer Protocol (FTP) configuration. Just keep the default settings and click Next to proceed.
10. Then the main Joomla 2.5 configuration should be defined. Specify your site name, meta description and keywords, admin user, email and password. Then click on Next.
11. In order to access your new Joomla 2.5 web site you have to delete the installation directory you uploaded. This can be done using your FTP client.
Then the Joomla will be there ready for your further development!